Childbirth is a great experience, but it can also have a big impact on your skin. Hormonal changes, weight loss and stress can all lead to various skin problems. Fortunately, there are a number of things you can do to care for your postpartum skin and look your best.
What happens to your skin after childbirth?
Here are some of the most common skin problems women can experience after giving birth:
- Stretch marks: Also called pregnancy stretch marks, they are reddish or purple lines that can appear on the abdomen, hips, thighs, and breasts. They are caused by rapid weight gain or weight loss. Stretch marks are not dangerous, but they can be perceived as cosmetically unpleasant. Learn more about Stretch marks
- Dry skin: Skin can become drier after giving birth due to many factors, including hormonal changes, stress and insufficient hydration.
- Acne: This is a common skin problem that can occur during and after pregnancy. It is caused by an increase in sebum production and a clogging of the pores.
- Pigment spots: Dark spots that can develop on the skin due to hormonal changes, sun exposure, or injuries.
- Dilated veins: Can occur on the legs, legs and face. They are caused by a weakening of the blood vessels.
What can you do to care for your skin after childbirth?
Here are some tips for taking care of your skin after childbirth:
- Use a mild cleanser and moisturizer.
- Avoid hot water and prolonged bathing. That dries out the skin more
- Wear mineral sunscreen with a high SPF, even on cloudy days.
- Eat a healthy diet: Choose vegetables, fruits, whole grain products, legumes, nuts and fish. And drink lots of water.
- Supplement: Vitamin D, Findings from studies indicate that vitamin D deficiency is associated with the occurrence of Post Natal Depression, and that vitamin D may play an important role in the recovery of women with PND.
- Stress “try” to reduce. Postpartum stress is a common problem for new mothers. Here are some tips to reduce postpartum stress:
- Talk about it: It’s important to talk about your feelings and experiences with friends, family, or a professional. This can help reduce your stress and support you during this challenging period.
- Take time for yourself: It’s important to take time for yourself and relax. This could mean taking a walk, reading a book, or taking a bath.
- Seek help: Ask friends and family for help with baby care, housework, or other tasks. This can help you reduce your stress and take time for yourself.
- Avoid overloading: Try not to take on too much and set realistic goals for yourself. It is important not to overexert yourself and take time to rest.
What cosmetic ingredients can help you?
After childbirth, your skin deserves some extra love and care. Fortunately, there are natural remedies you can try to care for and restore your skin. Here are ten natural ingredients that can help you postpartum:
- Aloe Vera: Known for its excellent moisturizing properties. It can help soothe and hydrate your skin after the stress of childbirth. The cooling effect of aloe vera can also provide relief from any irritation.
- Olive oil: This oil is a real treasure trove of vitamin E, a powerfule antioxidant die je huid kan beschermen tegen schade door vrije radicalen. In addition, olive oil contains healthy fatty acids that can nourish and soften the skin.
- Rosemary oil: has anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties, so it can help reduce inflammation, such as acne. Applying rosemary oil regularly can help reduce inflammation and improve overall skin health. Rosemary oil can also be used in aromatherapy to reduce stress due to the scent of rosemary which can lower the stress hormone cortisol in our body.
- Bakuchiol:This herbal ingredient is often considered a natural alternative to retinol. It has the capacity to reduce skin discoloration due to sun damage and environmental influences. It can also reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, making your skin look more youthful.
- Niacinamide:Also known as vitamin B3, it is great for moisturizing, softening and protecting the skin. It can help reduce inflammation and even out skin tone.
- Hyaluronic Acid: Is a sugar compound with a moisturizing property that deeply hydrates and softens your skin. Hyaluronic acid works by retaining moisture in the skin and helping the skin to look plumper and firmer. This can help reduce fine lines and wrinkles. Hyaluronic acid is often combined with other ingredients, such as vitamin C and vitamin E, which act as antioxidants and protect the skin from free radicals. Or with skin-firming ingredients such as bakuchiol, niacinamide and peptide.
- Vitamin C: This powerful antioxidant protects your skin from free radicals and can help brighten and even out your complexion. It gives your skin a fresh look and can reduce signs of damage.
- Avena Sativa: This is oat extract, known for its calming and soothing properties. It is ideal for sensitive skin, and it can reduce redness and balance your skin.
- Marshmallow Root: Also known as marshmallow root, it is known for its moisturizing and anti-inflammatory properties. It can soothe your skin and reduce irritation, which can be especially helpful after giving birth.
- Ectoine: This is a powerful molecule that protects the skin from dryness and irritation. It helps strengthen the skin barrier and retain moisture, which is important for healthy and well-hydrated skin.
What can Iconic Elements do for you?
After giving birth, you can use the Iconic Elements Natural Moisturizer Cream to treat dry skin. This cream offers a triple action to keep your skin optimally hydrated.
As part of your daily skincare routine, you can use the Iconic Elements CleansingMilk Step 1. This mild skin cleanser is free of alcohol and ensures a thorough cleaning.
For the reduction of pigment spots, you can rely on our Iconic Elements Spot Reducer cream, which contains the powerful combination of niacinamide and ectoine.
If you’re looking for a more intensive treatment, we have our Targeted Pigment Serum. This serum offers an advanced triple action to significantly reduce pigment spots.
The selected Iconic Elements products are suitable for use after giving birth.
Several of our clients have used our Sensitive Cream, intended for sensitive skin, on their recent scars, whether caused by trauma or surgery. Below we show a picture before and after using our Sensitive Cream, where the product was applied twice a day. The active ingredient in our Sensitive Cream is Avena Sativa, an oat extract, which has been reported in the literature to have a beneficial effect on wound healing.
Iconic Elements offers two excellent products containing Avena Sativa: our Sensitive Cream and Calming Cream. Our Calming Cream goes even further, with a calming combination of Avena Sativa, Marshmallow Root (Althaea officinalis) and Ectoine, making it a powerful ally for soothing and repairing the skin.
Do you want to test it first? You can do just that with our 5 ml Icons.