Face cleansing for men
Face cleansing for men? If you want to take good care of your skin as a man, facial cleansing is very important. Facial cleansing is an important part of a good (natural) skin care routine.
On this page about facial cleansing for men, we go into detail about
Face cleansing for men statistics
- 33% of men do not wash their face daily.
- Of the men who wash their face, 63% do not use a facial cleanser.
- 32% of men use a block of soap to wash their face.
Facial care for men, 3 steps in seconds!
1. Exfoliate your skin with a mild natural (without microplastics) skin scrub 1-2 x a week to remove dead skin cells. (duration 30 seconds)
2. Use a mild skin cleanser for the face and cleanse the skin twice a day. (Duration 30 seconds at a time)
3. Moisturize your face (Duration 20 seconds)
Long-term benefit, fresher, clean and hydrated skin, lasting 60 – 90 seconds at a time. Shorter than brushing your teeth (recommended time 120 seconds) and you do that every day.
For more info: Do men need different facial care than women?
Did you know: facial cleansing for men
Men also benefit from facial cleansing as part of their standard skin care routine.
Men's skin and sebum
Men have oilier skin compared to women. This is because men produce 2x as much sebum (sebum) due to testosterone. The excess sebum can make the skin glow, especially on the forehead.
An excess of sebum can lead to acne and troubled skin. The correlation excess sebum and getting acne is not one to one. The composition of sebum, skin acne bacteria (cutibacterium acnes) and excess dead skin cells (follicular hyperkeratinization) play an important role in the development of acne.
Advantage facial cleansing
By cleansing your skin, you can remove excess sebum, making your skin less shiny. This is especially helpful if you suffer from oily skin combined with acne. Cleaning your face can then help to reduce blemishes and reduce the chance of future outbreaks.
Right product for facial cleansing
A US survey has shown that, for practical reasons, men often use a bar of soap to clean their face. This is not only too aggressive for the skin, but can also lead to skin complaints such as redness, flaking and tight skin. This increases the risk of exacerbating skin problems such as eczema and rosacea. In addition, it appears that 1/3 of men do NOT wash their face daily.
Mild facial cleanser
An advice for cleaning your face is to use a mild facial cleanser that has been specially developed for the face. That way you can remove excess sebum, bacteria and other contaminants from your skin in a gentle and effective way.
A deeper cleansing of the skin means not only removing impurities, but also removing excess sebum on the skin. There is no single best facial cleanser that works for everyone. However, it is important to look at your own skin type, whether it is dry or oily. It’s also important to look at your skin’s needs, whether it needs a gentle or a deeper cleanse.
To determine what kind of skin you have, you can perform a simple test by looking at the different areas on your face:
Oily skin: This is especially noticeable in the T-zone, the area of the forehead and nose. The skin will look shiny and feel greasy, which can lead to breakouts due to increased sebum production.
Dry skin: You can recognize this by flaking. The skin feels rough and may be flaky. It can itch, irritate and look dull. The skin feels tight.
Normal skin: Normal skin has a balance between dryness and fat content. The T-zone is balanced and the skin does not feel dry or greasy.
Roadmap facial cleansing for men
A mild cleansing of the skin aims to remove the impurities on the skin. During the day we are exposed to various factors, such as air pollution particles, weather influences, occupational activities and perspiration. To properly cleanse the face, follow the following two steps:
For the first cleaning is Iconic Elements Cleansingmilk Step 1. It is a gentle and mild cleanser. It cleanses the skin in one simple step. The Cleansing Milk contains a combination of different oils including sunflower (Helianthus Annuus) and almond (Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis) to remove skin impurities. Aloe vera provides soothing and hydration to the skin.
Click here to go to the product
Cleansinglotion Step 2 is a mild lotion. Provides deeper skin cleansing and corrects the skin’s own acidity. The cucumber, lavender and chamomile extracts provide fresh cooling and less irritation.
Click here to go to the product
cleanse dry skin in men
Dry skin tends to faster skin irritations such as itching and flaking. Still, it is important to cleanse dry skin. Although acne is less prominent, fine dust on the skin can cause other problems. Such as pigment spots, exacerbation of skin barrier disruption, eczema, psoriasis and even skin cancer are correlated with particulate matter on the skin.
Advice: use a mild cleanser (Step 1) suitable for the face.
Cleaning oily skin in men
A shiny oily skin can not only be seen but also felt. Oilier skin caused by excess sebum can lead to acne.
Cleaning the skin removes sebum, unwanted skin bacteria and air pollutants.
Advice: use a mild facial cleanser twice a day. Step 1 cleansing milk and step 2 cleansing lotion are mild cleansing products with the pH value of your skin.
The best facial cleansing products for men
Below our selection of facial cleansing products for men AND care after skin cleansing
- All products have the ideal pH 5 acidity – for good skin resistance and skin barrier.
- Vegan, Zero Plastic inside
- Iconic Elements skincare has been named the Best Holistic skincare line 2022 by EU Business News.
Our male customers about our facial cleansing products
Frequently asked questions about our facial cleansing products
By cleaning their face 2 x a day with a mild cleanser suitable for the face. Using shampoo, soap or shower gel to clean the face is too aggressive for the skin.
Research among men has shown that cleansing the face twice a day, morning and evening, resulted in significantly fewer pimples and comedones.
For better skin texture, fewer pigment spots and less acne.
- Tiege, men skin care statistics 2020
- KBV Research, Natural Skin Care Products Market Size, Growth & Share 2026
- AlixPartners, Naturally Beautiful: Millennials and preferences in beauty and personal care products 2019
- Choi JM, Lew VK, Kimball AB. A single-blinded, randomized, controlled clinical trial evaluating the effect of face washing on acne vulgaris. Pediatr Dermatol. 2006;23(5):421-7
- Youn SW. The role of facial sebum secretion in acne pathogenesis: facts and controversies. Clin Dermatol. 2010 Jan-Feb;28(1):8-11.
- Roberts W. Air pollution and skin disorders. Int J Womens Dermatol. 2020 Nov 25;7(1):91-97.
- Vierkötter A, Schikowski T, Ranft U, Sugiri D, Matsui M, Krämer U, Krutmann J. Airborne particle exposure and extrinsic skin aging. J Invest Dermatol. 2010 Dec;130(12):2719-26.
- Grether-Beck S, Felsner I, Brenden H, Marini A, Jaenicke T, Aue N, Welss T, Uthe I, Krutmann J. Air pollution-induced tanning of human skin. Br J Dermatol. 2021 Nov;185(5):1026-1034.